From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 06:37:20 -0700
On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, D B Doucette wrote:

> To say only that students were away on break does not answer the question.
> This exchange (and a limited number of others earlier)  left out any
> explanation of why, even with students on break, few other supporters of BU
> attended the games.  Or, perhaps, they were there dressed as empty seats ?
> BU non-student fans -- why did you fail to support your team, especially on
> the Sunday series finale ?

I go back to 1970 as a BU season ticket holder (until leaving to live in
Canada in 1990).  The quarterfinal series, virtually always both at home
for BU, has been poorly attended by comparison to the turnout for games in
the regular season.  Other than spring break I have no explanation.  These
days, at least if you are in Boston, most if not all BU home games are on
TV so that explanation will not wash.

I will say (with my perceptions frozen in time for the period I was in
Boston) that BU hockey does not have the dominant focus on campus or in
the city that the sport might have elsewhere (Maine certainly comes to
mind here).  I would venture to say that a larger percentage of the campus
at BU does not care about what goes on at the Brown rink than those on
campus at Maine, and certainly a much larger percentage of the Boston
population could not care less about BU than would be found in Orono for
Maine.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!! GO GOLDEN BEARS!!!