From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 13:39:31 -0600
>         Folks who dislike the current ECAC playoff format are missing the point.
>   It is designed to give a definite edge to the top ranked team remaining
> when they get to LP.   That Olympic ice has produced some unexpected
> results,  and the ECAC wants its top teams to get a solid shot at the first
> game bye in the NC$$ regionals.

There's only one reason the Final Five was adopted ... the coaches hated
the Tuesday prelim game.  Any other reason they give, is an after the
fact statement.

>         Actually,  for the ECAC preliminary round of ten teams,  I still really
> like Richard's idea of two games,  total goals.   Only I would do it on
> Thursday and Saturday nights and make it home and home.   That works well
> in soccer oversees,  and guarantees two rabid sold out barns per pair of
> teams.   It'll never happen,  though.

Having a total goals series in sports is about as silly as using a
shootout, home run derby or free throw contest.  The idea of a sporting
event is to win -- not by how many.  Otherwise, all you get is a
120-minute game with a long intermission.  It's silly and I'm glad it's
not done anywhere anymore.

>         Also,  FWIW,  I personally don't think the ECAC will do well in the NC$$'s
> until they get off that big ice in Placid.   While everyone who goes to LP
> rave's about the ambiance,  the perfect size of the building,  and all the
> other Olympic village type of warm and fuzzies,  I think it instills some
> habits in the style of play that are not good when playing on NHL sized ice
> a week later.   That extra 7.5 feet of ice on each side of the rink really
> changes the game.   I would much prefer Albany for the ECAC finals if it
> really wants to do well in the NC$$'s.

I don't see it -- most teams play quarterfinal series on Olympic ice
because most buildings around the country are on Olympic ice now.
Actually, most ECAC rinks are on NHL-sized ice all year --- so one week
won't matter --- whereas teams like UNH, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc..
etc... play on Olympic ice all year.

AW