From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 16:13:58 -0700
Which brings me to another question about the NCAA tourney:  are the "new"
D-I teams, Mankato and later Nebraska-Omaha, instantly accorded a chance
into the tourney?  At the basketball D-I level, our program at Cal Poly,
elevated to D-I status 2 yrs ago and a recent addition to the Big West (I
think) will NOT be eligible for the conf tourney, winner of which gets an
auto bid to the roundball feast.  Apparently it takes 8 yrs of comp at the
D-I level to be eligible for postseason?  The logic is that they just
don't want every school jumping in and this is a way of discouraging it.
Seems it might just be a basketball rule because there are already about
300 teams.  Hockey, it seems, has the reverse problem.  Anyone know for
sure if it is a blanket policy or from sport to sport????

Tony Buffa
RPI '64 Hoping they will score again before the year is out ... :-)