From:
"Indulis R. Rutks" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Indulis R. Rutks
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 23:12:20 -0500
Pam Sweeney wrote...
>Eeyore was passing along all that he knew about the Woog situation.  So
>I'll try and add all *I* know, too;
>I've read the "five people" thing, too. I gather what happened is that a
>reporter who is considered to have it in for Woog hinted to a couple
>people about it, but wouldn't go on the record and give any concrete info.

Although the StarTribune had the original copyrighted article, the St. Paul
Pioneer Press added a few details about this part of the story. The Pioneer
Press stated that the StarTribune's investigation was instigated by the
StarTrib's John Gilbert. According to the Pioneer Press, Gilbert "has been
at odds with Woog for some time" and had been "removed by his editors from
the Gophers' beat twice in the past three seasons after covering the team
for most of the past 25 years." The Pioneer Press article also has the
following quote from Gophers assoc. a.d. Pat Forceia :"John Gilbert's role
and history in this incident was not dealt with (in the Star Tribune story)
and I don't know if it ever will... I know the Star Tribune chose not to
deal with it."

-Indy Rutks ([log in to unmask])