From:
Darrin Reed Wassom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 01:45:51 +0500
I think the biggest reasons that the MSU actions seem lax compared to
Maine are as follows:

1. MSU launced its own internal investigation and imposed their own
restrictions. They didn't try to ignore the problem and didn't try to
hide anything..

2. Most of the charges stem from the 'Perles Era'. George Perles (Former Coach) and Greg Croxton (Academic Advisor)
are no longer affiliated with the program. MSU has also gotten a new
Athletic Advisor and is taking major steps to keep the program in
compliance.

3. Many of the original charges from Roosevelt Wagner could not be
substantiated despite thorough investigations.

While the sanctions may seem weak they are noticable. MSU loses 7
scholarships next year. In my mind that means it will be hard to draw
talent like Cedric Irvin to MSU. One bad year of recruiting can make
or break a team. Official visits to campus are decreased and only a
limited number of assistant coaches can make recruiting trips.

Granted, I don't know what steps were taken at Maine when their
allegations surfaced but I do know MSU did a great job of identifying
the problem, imposing their own restrictions, and taking steps to
prevent the problem from happening again.

MSU also spent close to a million dollars on their investigation and
defense. They were well prepared and it looks like the money paid
off.

Hope that answers some of your questions. Keep in  mind that I am a
Spartan and my view is biased but I believe them to be true.
-Darrin
Darrin Wassom ~~ Former Head of Rats at the....
Information Technologies and Services Laboratory
Michigan State University
Phone: (517) 336-9301 ~~ Pager: (517) 360-5628
Email: [log in to unmask] ~~ http://www.tc.msu.edu