From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Mon, 20 May 1996 06:08:32 EDT
I want to thank everyone who responded to my question about whether or
not scholarship hockey players who play for a non-Div-I school playing
Div-I hockey can also play another sport.  Apparently, the answer is
"yes" if the school is Div-II (e.g., Merrimack) and "no" if the school
is Div-III (e.g., RPI).

I had suspected that the answer was "no," from watching what has been
going on at RPI since scholarships were awarded at RPI in the early
1980s.  For example, Adam Oates was an outstanding box lacrosse player
in Canada but did not play lacrosse at RPI.  I had not realized that
the situation was different for Div-II schools.

I wonder how often Div-III schools lose possible recruits due to the
inability to play a second sport.  I received one message that stated
that RPI had recruited Tom Glavine, but he decided not to attend because
he could also play baseball.  Glavine eventually signed elsewhere but
decided to play baseball fulltime before entering college.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74