From:
Mark Sonnier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Sonnier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 16:28:05 -0800
To say Anchorage is abuzz about it's new hockey coach is about as much of an
understatement as saying hockey is big in Minnesota.  Dean Talafous has
certainly made his mark at UAA since his arrival less than a week ago.
Players seem to love him, his soft spoken style has made him a media darling
and UAA administrative types are nearly wetting their collective trousers.

I, for one, however am more than a little confused.  Just a couple of days
ago, everyone was talking about Maine's Greg Cronin.  In fact, the Anchorage
Daily News devoted an entire article to him on Wednesday morning, allegedly
the first of three such features on each finalist to run through Friday's
edition.  They never got to the other two, as Talafous' hiring was announced
to the local media late Wednesday afternoon.

Cronin appeared to be everyone's pick as the next Don Lucia.  Young,
energetic and buff, just like Donnie.  (BTW, Lucia was contacted by UAA A.D.
Tim Dillon in case none of the three finalists "panned out."  Lucia
apparently sent up a lengthy list containing the criteria which would be
required of UAA to bring him back to Alaska like dorms for players, and a
permanent locker room at the Sullivan Arena.  Needless to say, it appears
Lucia was never very serious about a return...)  Plus, with things as
screwed up as they appear to be at Maine, combined with UAA's apparent
commitment to buy out his contract for $30k, folks I talked with figured
he'd jump at the chance to get away from Orono.  Also, there was the fact
that Cronin was the only applicant currently coaching in Div. I, albiet in
an interim capacity.  To ice the cake, Dillon had personally asked Cronin to
apply.  Obviously, things didn't work out like I figured.

It seems that a lot of folks who were a little put off by Cronin's bravado
(those body-builder stories caused some UAA players to joke that Cronin
would show them up in the weight room!) were drawn to Talafous' easy going
style.  His NHL experience didn't hurt either.  Most of all, though, was the
ease at which he seemed to appeal to all the various contact groups,
particularly the players.  Even his disciplinarian style seemed to be a hit
with the Seawolves, who many accused over the course of the season of taking
needless retaliatory penalties and blowing big games.  So, I suppose, all's
well that ends well, unless UAA doesn't rise from the WCHA cellar pretty
quick.  In which case, Deano had better watch his back...

But that's not quite the end.  In a final dose of irony to this sordid tale,
Cronin and fellow finalist John Harrington of St. John's (MN) figured out
their joint predicament Tuesday evening at the Anchorage International
Airport.  It seems that all three finalists were scheduled to depart
together on the same flight.  When Talafous didn't show in the departure
area, the two men figured out what had happened.  Now is that courtesy or what?

Nice going, UAA...  Now drop the @#$%*&$% puck!

Mark Sonnier
Anchorage, AK