From:
Jerry Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 16:18:31 -0500
On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Charlie Shub wrote:

> I'll leave it to the more erudite among you to rank according to
> mascot size, length of university name, enrollment, graduation rate,
> or any other scheme you choose.

I like a combination of 'mascot size' and 'length of university'.

Lake Superior has two mascots, a Sea Duck and a Sea Hawk, the former
being a portly, jolly-looking creature and the latter being a more lean,
ferocious-looking beast.  The children seem to appreciate both.  Having
had my view blocked by both simultaneously, I can attest first-hand that
when put together they make a formidable object around which one must
look to catch the action.  I suspect most schools would be hard-pressed
to come up with a bigger mascot.  While one might argue that the mascots
should not be counted together, I am confident that the selection
committee would consider the sum of the parts for the purpose of
selection and seeding.

'Lake Superior State University', both in terms of number of words and total
letters has to also be near the top in the length category.  If there are
any serious challengers out there among D-1, I would submit to the
committee that LSSU be allowed to use a former name, 'Soo Branch of
Michigan Technological University'.  (Mark, please correct me if I don't
have the name exactly right).  I feel the committee would allow this
precedent, given that the Lakers have worn throwback jerseys
recently.  This despite the fact that they are truly ugly (IMHO) and the
Lakers seem not to play so well when wearing them.  Thank heaven the team
pictures were black-and-white in the old days.

Jerry Stephens
LSSU 1986