From:
Walter W Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter W Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 23:40:52 -0500
I have been asked by several people who followed my posts in the past if
I was still posting game summaries to Hockey-L. Apparently, the word
still has not fully gotten out: posts of the nature below are now put
on [log in to unmask] which can be subsribed to in the same
manner as Hockey-L (which the exception of the list name) by sending
the approriate message to [log in to unmask] I am posting this
message on both lists this one time and this one time only to inform those
who may have lost their way to my postings but stilll wish to read them.

I think this is the first time since I have been at MTU (five years now)
that I have seen MTU score 8 goals in a single NCAA game. Dave Fisher
will probably print the final stats but here are some to hold you:

UW  0 0 2 - 2
MTU 1 3 4 - 8

Saves:
UW  Daubenspeck 5 10 5 - 20
MTU Weniger    11 12 8 - 31

If we had the intensity of fans that exist in Madison, people would be
hoarse from the SIEVE chant but we don't do that here. The key to MTU
scoring tonight was sharp passes and quick shots. We didn't have many
shots on goal because the puck went in almost everytime that we directed
it in that direction.

In the first period, MTU came out hard but fell off midway through. Part
of this was caused by an injury to Kyle Peterson. (I don't know what the
injury is or what the status is. He walked off the ice but a little shaky
and went to the locker room. It was rumored here that he was taken to the
hospital.) While it happened directly in front of me, I did not see what
caused it. Then Wright received a penalty for tripping and we looked a
little down. However David Weniger made a couple great saves which
reinvigerated the team. Lat in the period, Kisil made a sweet little pass
to Pat Mikesch coming down the slot. Pat lifted the puck over Daubenspeck's
shoulder to light up the board at 18:04.

In the second period, Austyn Kryzer passed off to Jimmie Roy who walked down
on the net in the slot and lifted the puck at the right time at 4:23. Then at
6:51, Kryzer got his own score by lifting the puck after a pass from
Andre Savage. Bret Meyers caught the goalie out of the crease to cut
down the angle and double deked around hime to gain a ppg at 10:16.

In the third, Jason Wright returned a failed clearing drive on a powerplay
in the slot for an unassisted goal. Wisconsin's Erik Raygor got an
unassisted goal after the puck skittered along in the crease on the open
side of the goal after a block at 6:21. MTU's John Kisil took a pass from
Andre Savage in the slot for  a ppg at 7:44. At 10:38, Jimmie Roy forced the
puck pass Daubenspeck with his stick. Wisconsin's Mike Strobel scored
on a powerplay on a beuatiful play: Carter faked a shot causing the MTU player
to drop to his knees. Then Carter skated around the MTU player and passed
to Stroebel in front of the net. The last score was a beautiful unassisted
play by Andre Savage who gained the puck from the faceoff in the slot for
a power play goal. MTU scored on all four powerplay opportunities tonight.

I would be remiss if I did not state that the reffing was outstanding. The
team of Robin Anderson, John Seidel and Linesman Joe Romano seem to know
what hockey is all about and aren't fooled by dives, and faked holds. In the
first period, only one penalty was called (on MTU). There were four in
the 2nd period (3 on MTU, 1 on Wisconsin) and six in the third (3 on MTU
and 3 on Wisconsin). Despite all of the 2 ref debate on Hockey-L, this is
one 2 referee team that is superb and consistant. I would have no problem
if all of the reffing were of this quality.

A good game for MTU. We are now 9 games withut a WCHA loss at home and face
Wisconsin again tomorrow night after the foot of new snow expected in between.
(There is no lack of snow for Winter Carnival this year, We are already
over 180 inches and it is still coming!) We can't afford to relax now --
Wisconsin is young and a bit shell shocked but if they recover, they have
talent to come on strong. I see great improvement in this team from when
I earlier saw them in Madison in November.

Walt Olson
ME-EM/MTU

Disclaimer: I am not the official source of information for MTU and do
not wish to be considered this. I am merely an avid fan who believes
MTU hockey is good hockey and the story needs to get out.