From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 1995 08:18:18 -0500
Both Mike and John are correct in stating universities have rigorous
guidelines of what can be solicited and who can approve it.

However ---

Going to hockey game these days is like passing a gaunlet of people
who have your wallet planned for better things than you do. There are
50-50 raffles, jersey raffles, button sales, programs (game and other),
candy sales, bake sales ... you name it.This has gotten to be too much.

While most of these have been approved by the powers that be, I can not help
but believe that some are not.  Because of the number of solicitations made,
I don't think anyone knows what is legit and not legit.  I also do not
believe that the university officials are aggressive in checking credentials.
None of the solicitors have an official mark or license of the university
visible. Some of the solicitations begin days before the NCAA event itself.
Because of these problems it is very difficult for anyone including a school
official, let alone anyone else, to determine what is or is not approved.

I would highly recommend that giver use some common sense. If you do not
know it is legit, don't give. If you wish to give to what seems like a
worthy cause, but do not know if the soliciation is legit, check on it
at the Sports Director`s or Building Manager's Office BEFORE giving.

The potential for abuses are great and I am equally certain that it has
been abused.Having participated in several solications, I can tell you
that the money transferred is great enough to cause dishonesty.  On a
dollar raffle, it not unusual to collect a dollar from about 20% of
population attending the event. A good aggressive solicitor can do much,
much, better.  Should the cause have public appeal, such as in the Travis
Roy case, it is very easy to capitalize on public sympathy to collect
moneys.  It is an area in which the NCAA should investigate and
determine some guidelines. As a minimum, each solicitor should display
some form of approval by the university for the purposes of the
solicitation.  I would also suggest some form of accounting for the
funds backed by a receipt system.

Walt Olson
MTU

Usual disclaimers: These views are mine alone and do not represent
nor are necessarily supported by my university. Others may share
my views at their own risk.