From:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 19:10:46 -0600
On Tue, 31 Oct 1995, Deron Treadwell wrote:

> According to Maine Coach Shawn Walsh, the NCAA told him that they will NOT
> count the Maine/Michigan game in their selection of the NCAA Tournament
> participants, effectively making the game an exhibition.  Walsh said that
> the Hall of Fame Classic game falls under the NCAA's exception?
> Can anyone confirm or deny this, Jeff Weiss perhaps??

The Hall of Fame game has always been an exhibition.  UMD has opened
their season many times with this game, a lot of times with a WCHA
opponent, and it has never counted.  Last season, UMD opened at home vs.
Wisconsin.  Friday night's game was the first HoF game not held in
Eveleth, and counted as an exhibition, while Saturday's was the WCHA
opener.  They later played a one-game series in Milwaukee, which counted
as a UMD home game (Yeah, right, at the Bradley Center, and it's an away
game for Wisconsin?)
        Anyway, the HoF game is always an exhibition.

TF

--
Anthony J. Frolik                            University of Minnesota Duluth
Go Bulldogs!                                      3-1-0 WCHA, 5-1-0 Overall