From:
Shari Durdin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shari Durdin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 09:05:18 -0600
Minnesota VP, and former AD Mackinley Boston, and Women's AD Chris Voelz were on the
radio this morning announcing a 10:00 am press conference to announce the addition of women's
hockey, to be started in two years. This is probably old news on the list here ( I haven't had time
to sift through all the mail lately!). One of the questions asked was whether there would be a
Big 10 conference for hockey. Mac Boston said there are people looking into restoring the Big 10
conference for men's play, but that most women's teams are out east. Boston said funding for the
women's program at Minnesota will come out of the women's athletic budget, and from corporate
sponsorship. They will share ice time at Mariucci with the men's team. Any other word out there
on bringing the Big 10 back together for mens ice hockey? Off the top of my head this conference
would include Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Illinois(?). I don't
think this would be a good idea, as it would cut out UMD, and St. Cloud from the Gophers calendar
which have gotten to be great rivalries.

go go gophers...
shari