From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 21:01:24 -0500
Well, I promised my thoughts, so here they are!

When I looked at the schedule at the beginning of the year and I saw Maine
playing Miami, the possibility of playing Michigan State, Michigan and
Colgate (throw in a gutsy Union club) all before coming home, and with an
untested sans-Imes defense, I was concerned.

Little did I know that Maine would have to take a week off before playing
Michigan, after only 9 practices and two games.  Maine practiced that next
Monday and Tuesday, with a short early Wednesday morning practice and then
it's off the Michigan, then to New York.  Five games, four preseason
nationally ranked teams, roughly 12 practices, and a 4-1-0 record, I
couldn't be more than pleased.

Some Maine fans have messaged me, and discussed how concerned they were
after the Michigan loss, some even throwing the whole season away.  I wonder
if these people were watching the same game everyone else was.  I'd like to
think I'm a student of the game, and as such a student I would have been
happy starting this year at 3-2, or even at .500, depending.  Maine fans
should be trilled with this start to the new season.  It's a huge beginning,
and everything is right in front of us now.  Let's look at November, Maine
plays 10 games in the month.  Of all these games, 7 of these games are home,
1 is in Portland, and we have two in Providence.  Granted these aren't easy
games, two .vs UNH, one .vs BU, and two .vs BC, but the fact that Maine
plays home is an advantage.

Don't get me wrong, Maine isn't perfect and they aren't at the form that
will return them to the final four, but much of what is wrong can be
corrected with practice.  The power-play is a big concern.  Maine went 1 for
11 the other night in their 4-1 victory over Union, if Maine gets the
power-play going they can break the game open.  Union gave Maine the
chances, they just couldn't convert. Maine has also had trouble connecting
consistanly with plays, such as centering plays, all things that can be
worked on in practices.  The defense had some lapses against Michigan, and
the Wolverines were good enough to capitalize on those mistakes.
Conversely, Maine did not convert on mistakes enough I believe to satisfy
Walsh.  Maine lived by this sword last year, they have more speed and
scoring punch this year, but they need to capitalize on those chances.

I've been very impressed with Maine's top line of Scott Parmentier, Brad
Purdie, and Shawn Wansborough.  Wansborough has two game winning goals,
Purdie has at least a point in every game, and Parmentier has at least a
point in 4 of 5 games.  Dan Shermerhorn has played well centering the second
line, and playing on power-play.  Barry Clukey has taken the bitterness of
being left off the team for the NCAA's last year and put it to good use.
Clukey is now playing with Kariya, and Lovell both good play makers.  Clukey
had two assists the other night.  I've also been impressed with the freshmen
defensemen Brett Clark and David Cullen.  Both have been solid, and have
registered multiple points from the blue line so far this year.  Jeff Tory
is also quietly doing his thing as well.

I am a little disappointed with Steve Kariya, but that's my own fault.  I
think as fans, in light of Paul Kariya, we may have expected too much of
Steve too soon, and without much information.  He is very small, that
certainly works against him, but he likes playing in the corners, and
doesn't seem to let the fact he's small discourage him.  He won't leave for
the NHL after 1 year and a half, I think he'll be here for several years.
If that is in fact the case, look for him to play like Cal Ingraham did late
in his career here.  He's on the third line with Tim Lovell and Barry
Clukey, but doesn't play on the power-play.  Because of that he's not
getting the ice time, but when he's on the ice he has been creating chances.
I'd like to see him work into the power-play unit.  He's a slick passer, I'm
not sure what kind of finisher he is, but he can sure create chances.  I
have also been mildly disappointed in Blair Allison.  By his own admission
he hasn't played all that way, but he seemed more Allison-like against
Colgate last night so that is a hopefull sign.

I'm looking forward to finally seeing the Black Bears this weekend, and I
expect them to play as well as they have all year.
---
Deron [log in to unmask]

--> University of Maine Hockey (3-1-0)
--> http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/mehockey.html
--> Owner/GM/Coach:  Maine Mariners (EHH Fantasy)
--> http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/ehh.html