From:
"Jason W. Roy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason W. Roy
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 16:38:03 -0600
Let me begin by syaing that UMD has a pretty good hockey club, and yes
Michigan Tech does take a lot of penalties.

Ok--I attended the MTU/UMD series this past weekend in Duluth and
witnessed the worst display of officiating I have ever seen.  I don't
think a ref should be able to control the out come of the game.  UMD with
the help of Krieger swept MTU. I think the outcome could have been a
different story if Krieger knew how the game of hockey should be played.
Hockey is a Rough, Physical game - The players know that! The coaches
Know that! The fans know that!  COULD SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL THAT POOR
EXCUSE FOR A REF (KRIEGER) "That hockey is a rough physical
game"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm sorry but he
sucks really, really bad.  He was already on probation from a series he
officiated the weekend before.  Krieger ruined what could have been a
great series for two good hockey clubs.  I don't want to take anything
away from UMD - they played hard, but it seemed the officiating was a
little one sided.

And another thing-----The line brawl on Friday night was caused by a
great hit.  Techs Rhuutu had the HIT OF THE YEAR!!!!! on a UMD player.
It was awesome (clean too).  It should be shown on College Hockey USA on
thursday---> you won't see a better hit all season.

As a result of this great hit Rhuutu was jumped by 2 UMD players, another
UMD player left the bench, and another UMD player threw one of the
refs--causing a LINE BRAWL.  The result which should have been a lengthy
powerplay for MTU ended up even.  GIVE ME A BREAK - KRIEGER

Then what does Krieger do in the final minute of a tie game.  He calls a
penalty on Tech- Jason Prokopetz crossed the blue line and let a wrist
shot go just as the whistle sounded for a offsided call.  As he shot he
was cross checked to the ice by two UMD players. The puck hit the glass
at the back of the rink and Prokopetz got 2 minutes for Unsportsmanlike
conduct.  -NIce call Krieger - NOT!!!!!!!!

Tech almost killed the penalty when (guess who- had his arm up for another
cheap call- KRIEGER) Duluth scored in overtime.

An otherwise good game ruined by Krieger

Game 2 wasn't much better as Krieger gave UMD - three 5 on 3's to
start the first period-- way to go Krieger!!!!!

Tech was down by a goal until late in the 3rd period when they tied it as
the momentum swung their way.  While tech was in full control--My buddy
Krieger gives Pat Mickesh a 5 minute check from behind penalty on goal
mouth collision (probaly not even a penalty- but UMD took advantage of
the way Kriegers was calling the game and two players laid on
the ice.  The result was a good penalty kill by tech but UMD scored
about 20 seconds after the penalty was over with about 35 seconds left in
the game.

Another good game where both teams worked hard-- but Krieger decided to
take matters into his own hands.

UMD and Tech are two very solid clubs with the potential to finish in the
top 5 of the wcha.

Krieger on the on the other should not be allowed ref PeeWee nevermind
Division 1--- Maybe he should try footlocker if he wants to keep the
stripes on.

Good luck- to both UMD and MTU next weekend.

If anybody hears anything about Krieger and his probation from the league
could you please post it on Hockey-L.

I hope I didn't offend anybody (except for Krieger)

Jason Roy
University of Manitoba
GO TECH