From:
paul thalacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
paul thalacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 1995 15:46:47 -0600
I attended both games of the UMD-MTU series, so here are a few of my
observations and comments regarding the games.
Friday's 6-5 UMD win in overtime was quite a wild game with all the
penalties and injuries.  Michigan Tech continued their penalty-filled
brand of hockey that they have been known for in recent years (check the
WCHA penalty-records they have set the last few years).
UMD goaltender Taras Lendzyk was rammed 4-5 times before he was finally
knocked out of the game with a groin injury.  Enter UMD backup Jim
Moellman, who stood strong in net as the Bulldogs's won in overtime on
Mike Peluso's goal.
The brawl began as Ruutu laid a vicious shot to Dan Jablonic's head in
front the the UMD bench.  Garatti grabbed Ruutu and both ended up DQ'd.
Rick Mrozik jumped from the UMD bench to join in the fracas, and was
later DQ'd after the refs viewed videotape after the game.  The referees
delayed the game about 15 minutes trying to sort things out, but still
did not get all the penalties figured out until after the game.
Saturday night's game was less-penalty filled, but Tech continued running
the UMD goaltender.  Moellman withstood numerous hits throughout
the contest and somehow stayed in the game.  The biggest hit came in the
third period, when Pat Mikesh checked UMD defenseman Chris Snell from
behind, and both crashed into Moellman and the three flew into the net.
Snell was rammed into the post and suffered injuries, while Moellman
injured his groin and played hurt the rest of the game.  Mikesh
received a major penalty for the incident.  UMD captain Joe Ciccarello
notched the game winner with 38 seconds left, on a blistering 45-foot
slapshot as he streaked down the right wing.
For the weekend, UMD suffered injuries to approximately 6-7 players.
Lendyk(groin), Moellman(groin), Snell, Peluso(knee), Jablonic,
Hanson(neck/back) I can remember off the top of my head.  Reports I've
heard say Lendzyk might be out 2-3 weeks.
If I remember right, no Tech players suffered any injuries.
I really don't understand how Michigan Tech can ever expect to move into
the upper echelon of the conference if they continue this style of play.
They kill themselves with penalties every game.  Of these penalties,
most are the type of stick-infractions, after-whistle roughing,
behind-the-play interference, running the goaltender, etc.  Very few are
"smart" penalties, such as those preventing a goal-scoring opportunity.
Tech does seem to have quite a bit of talent and very solid goaltending,
but are really hampered by the consistent penalties.
Overall, it was quite a gutsy effort by UMD, particularly Saturday with
all the injuries, a rookie goaltender, and two regular defenseman out
with DQ's.  Hopefully they can heal up fast as a tough road trip to North
Dakota awaits next weekend.

Paul Thalacker
Go Bulldogs!!!