From:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 10:41:03 -0400
On Oct 27,  9:43am, John Haeussler wrote:

> THE PALACE
> The best thing about the Palace is that it's nice and roomy.
> Everyone in attendance had five seats to themselves.  I wonder
> if "you're part of the largest crowd to be watching a college hockey
> game this evening" was announced at Munn in East Lansing last
> night. :-)

This may be the best thing but the worst thing is the $6 parking
fee.  I expected something but not 6$.  I half jokingly asked the
attendant if a fee that high wasn't in direct conflict with NC$$
rules.  He smiled, said "Gee, that's a good question" and sent me
on my way.  Someone please remind me again what the benefit is of
having this game at the Palace rather than Joe Louis.

> Seriously, there was NOBODY at the Maine-Michigan game.
> The crowd was reminiscent of Michigan's Blue-White scrimmage,
> with a little more press.

The crowd was very sparse and, as expected, ran heavily to
Michigan fans.  Were there really over 20,000 fans at last years
Michigan/Notre Dame game?

> And, for crying out loud, it would have been nice if they'd have
> given us an LSSU-MSU score at some point during the evening.
> Two thumbs down for keeping us in the dark.

Big agreement on this point.

> WHERE WAS REG?
> I'm not sure if ESPN2 mentioned it, but there was a brief
> ceremony during the first intermission to honor Henry Boucha,
> the first Native American inducted into the US Hockey Hall
> of Fame.  (A) Is Taffy Abel in the US HoF?  I was under the
> impression (perhaps misguided) that Taffy Abel was Native
> American.  I could check this in my media guides at home,
> but I'll offer my ignorance for anyone who can give me a
> quicker answer.  (B) Regardless of (A), why wasn't Maine
> forward Reg Cardinal involved in the ceremony?  Yes, Reg
> is Canadian (so the US HoF may not mean much to him),
> but he's Native American.  Did he decline to participate or
> didn't anyone see this opportunity?

At the risk of misspeaking, I believe Taffy Abel is a Native American.
Beyond that, I don't know anything about him.  Perhaps someone from
LSSU (where they will be dedicating the new Taffy Able Arena tomorrow
night) can help clear this up.

> John H - U Mich (3-1-0,1-1-0 CCHA)

>-- End of excerpt from John Haeussler

As usual, John provides a great critique of a solid Michigan victory.

--
Matt Wickey                                 LSSU '86
CIMLINC Inc.                                National Champs 88 92 94