From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 12:46:08 -0400
>What is the general conscenses of the new WCHA fighting rules.  For those
>who have not heard, the WCHA is piloting some new rules.  If a player
>receives a fighting penalty he suspended for the rest of the game.  Then
>next fighting penalty will, the player will get a three game suspension.
>The third fighting penalty results in a season suspension.

Did the WCHA define what "season suspension" means, is it a set number of
games or just till the next season begins.  I have some questions about the
affect this will have.  What about the player who is playing on a team which
is not going to the post-season?  It's not much of a negative re-enforcement
with only a few games remaining.  Other teams will most certainly try to
antagonize those players who are facing a season suspension if they fight,
especially if they are a top-line player, is that really what the WCHA is
looking for?  If a player just keeps getting run at time and time again, he
will either eventually snap and protect himself, or get injured.  Doesn't it
change the whole game for that player when he can't protect himself?  I
think it's a bad rule because it's not hockey.  Fighting shouldn't
necessarily be condoned in college, but players are bigger and faster and
they need to be able to protect themselves.
-------
Deron [log in to unmask]

  MMM          MMM  University of Maine Hockey
  MM MM      MM MM  (2-0-0, 0-0-0 in HE)
  MM  MM    MM  MM  *Unoffical* Maine Hockey Home Page at:
  MM   MM MM    MM  http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/mehockey.html
  MM     M      MM
  MM            MM  Owner/GM/Coach: EHH's Maine Mariners
  MM            MM  http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/ehh.html
-------