From:
Mark Sonnier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 1995 14:01:13 -0800
This brings up an interesting discussion I recall from last winter.  If
memory serves, the thread then was more along the lines of pep band
etiquette, more than anything else...

I have been in the position of both pep band member and avid listener
over the years.  During my youth as an undergraduate at the University of
Alaska Fairbanks, we routinely fielded a small band in the friendly
confines of the Patty Arena, a 1600 seat cross between a hockey rink and
an air raid shelter.  All seats (bleacher-style benches) were along one
side of the rink behind the player benches, with some standing room at
the left end of the rink near the concession stands and rest rooms.  The
low ceiling and concrete enhanced the sound of our few spirited horns
and, from time to time, some decent melodies rose above the din of
student-led chants and death threats directed at opposing players and
officials...  It was fun for us in the band and, I hope, enjoyable for
the fans as well.

Then, in 1990, the games were moved to the new 4600 seat Carlson Center.
Although the pep band was allowed to play, they were swallowed up in the
relatively cavernous surroundings.  This, coupled with the fact that
student percentage of fan totals dropped from say 75-80% to less than
15%.  These days, classic rock ditties on the PA dominate the spaces between
periods and during breaks in the on-ice action.  I suspect this is the case
for most other arena-style college games where student interests give way
to community pressures.  (I can't ever recall a pep band here in Anchorage
for the Seawolves' games in the Sullivan, either.)

As I commented last year, I think it's absolutely great that some schools
still play games on campus and encourage their pep bands to contribute.
Students give the game an excitement and enthusiasm that "family night"
can never match.  Unfortunately, the trend seems to be that colleges are
moving into bigger city arenas, where larger crowds mean more community
interest and more money.  Let's face it, most ADs would rather see seats
filled with $10-12 fans instead of $3-4 students...

So if your school still has a pep band, support them.  A day may not be
far off when "On Wisconsin" is replaced by "Sweet Home Alabama..."

Musically yours,
Mark

Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.                                 Voice (907)786-6505
Purchasing Agent                                          Fax (907)786-6515
University of Alaska Anchorage           e-mail: [log in to unmask]
UAF Hockey fans say:  "Look out CCHA - 'Nooks in 95 are badder than Binky!"