From:
Chuck Cliff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 22:51:09 -0400
In a message dated 95-09-15 19:45:28 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Steve
Moerland) writes:

>   I was just looking at the LSSU Laker schedule for this year and noted
that
>they have no home games listed against MSU.  They have 2 in E. Lansing and 1
>in
>Joe Louis Arena that is listed as a road game.  The MSU schedule confirms
>this.
>What's the deal?  Is this the way they're making up for the three home games
>with Fairbanks or what?  I checked the schedule of the michigan wolverines
>and
>they don't appear to have 3 road games with anyone despite hosting UAF three
>times.  Just wondering,
>                                 --Steve Moerland
>                                   MSU '92, UK '95 (probably)

I'll try to answer some of Steve's questions. MSU was originally scheduled to
play a game in the Soo on Oct. 28. MSU was also scheduled to play at Ferris
the night before. My guess is that Ron Mason didn't want to have to make that
road trip. For whatever reason Jeff Jackson agreed to play the LSSU home game
against MSU at JLA in February.

In the way of history MSU has had to play only a single game in the Soo twice
since the three games against each conference member has been in place. Both
those times Ron Mason was given very favorable terms on which to make the
trip. The first time the game was played on a Tuesday night after LSSU had
been at Miami for two the previous weekend. MSU had the previous weekend off.

Last year LSSU played MSU at home on a Monday night. I believe MSU played
Ferris at home on Friday for their only game of the weekend. LSSU played Team
Canada in the Soo on Friday and traveled to Ferris for a Saturday game.

The only point I see in this is that Jeff Jackson is going out of his way to
make MSU's trips to the Soo as easy as possible. This accommodation has gone
so far that State doesn't make the trip this year. One can only speculate as
to why this situation is the way it is. I have my own opinions as to what the
motivation is, but they are so speculative I will not pass them on in this
public forum. I would be happy to share them via private e-mail if someone is
interested IMHO.

One other side note, the current schedule has LSSU playing at MSU on Oct. 26.
This is a Thursday night, that just so happens to be the night of the
Michigan-Maine game at the Palace. I live in the Detroit area and was really
looking forward to seeing the game at the Palace. Being a Laker fan I will
probably opt for the trip to E Lansing to see LSSU for the first time in the
upcoming season. Out of all the nights Jeff and Ron could have picked to play
the game, I don't know why they would make college hockey fans chose between
the two games. It almost makes you wonder if these two guys really have the
best interest of the sport at heart.

Chuck Cliff