From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 1991 23:30:04 EDT
Before you wonder, the dates listed for Hockeyfest 92 are indeed 3/12-14
which is Thursday through Saturday.  This is the first I had heard that
Hockeyfest was going to play a return engagement.  I am surprised that
they will be moving the event up a weekday, since it may be even more
difficult to draw a decent crowd for two games on a Thursday night.

It also means that the ECAC & HE teams will have two weeks off between
their tourney games and the NCAA regionals - except for BC, which will
have three. :-)

Does anyone have the dates for Olympic hockey in Albertville?  I hope that
it will be played before the conference playoffs!

Note that Northeastern will be playing at a tournament in Ottawa and not
two games at the University of Ottawa.  I don't know who else is in that.

Finally, THE word on Tony Amonte from BU SID Ed "I wear my sunglasses in
the press box" Carpenter is that Amonte has decided to forego the Olympics
to play for the Rangers this season.  I had said that Amonte had a clause
in his contract which would allow him to play for Team USA if he wanted,
but that was apparently a no-pay type of situation.  So Amonte chose to
stick with the bucks.  I guess if I was going to get paid what he's going
to get, that might change my outlook too.  After all, that's why he left BU.
It's also possible that had Amonte been injured while playing for USA, the
Rangers could have been let out of their obligation to pay him.  That would
have made it a risky proposition for him.

Any word on who will replace Lane MacDonald as assistant coach at Harvard
if Lane makes the cut in a couple of weeks?
---
Mike Machnik        [log in to unmask]       [log in to unmask]