From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 1994 11:15:37 -0500
Mike wrote:
>LSSU is already in serious danger of not even getting a bid.  The
>Dec11 RPICH posted by Erik had LSSU at 32nd, and we're almost halfway
>through the season.  The Lakers have a LOT of ground to make up.  It
>can be done, but it will be quite difficult.  It might take a nearly
>perfect second half and strong postseason tourney performance.

The two times I've seen the Lakers play this season (both at Munn) they've
looked pretty awful.  They're not getting scoring (still) from most of their
big guns.

I'd say serious danger is probably a pretty good assessment.  LSSU is benefit-
ting somewhat from the fact that teams like Miami and Western Michigan are sort
of helter-skelter at the moment.  The Lakers are only 2 points out of fourth in
the conference.  But Mike is correct.  They do have a lot of ground to make up.
Since it seems highly unlikely that the CCHA would get 4 teams into the NC$$
Tourney, as it has in years past, the Lakers are going to have to find some way
to get into 3rd or better (or play an awesome tournament).  Fortunately for
them, the schedule works in their favor.  They have two left against Michigan
and one against MSU, all three in the Soo, and (correct me if I'm wrong) have
either not played BG yet or have played them once in Ohio.  They have a lot
of games left against the teams ahead of them.

I'm just glad MSU plays them in early January.

>After all, Michigan might
>have gotten to St Paul last season if their road had not gone through
>LSSU.

Fifth time was the charm.

>It is interesting to note that the way things are going, two Colorado
>teams, CC and DU, have an inside track on the top 2 West seeds.  I
>don't think anyone would have guessed it two years ago.  This is what
>makes this game great.

Denver really helped themselves out with the sweep of Minnesota, who had beaten
both Michigan and MSU.  I still think that one of the three teams at the top
of the CCHA (UM, MSU, BG) will start to pull away a bit from the others and
will most likely get one of the top 2 seeds in the West.  But, March is a long
way off.

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University 8-2-1, 12-4-1
WVU '87, UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?