From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 91 11:02:28 EST
Jeremy writes:
>     Clarkson will now face the Terriers of Boston University in the
>semifinals.  The Knights defeated BU 5-0 at BU earlier this season.

    Whoa, have to step in here for a minute.  The score of that game was 5-3,
    not 5-0, and Clarkson's fifth goal was an empty-netter.  To recap, BU
    outshot Clarkson 40-21 and completely dominated the Knights in the third
    period.  After spotting them a 4-0 lead through the first two periods and
    the first couple of minutes of the third, BU nearly came back to win. Chris
    Rogles was clearly the star of the game in the Clarkson net.  I saw this
    game on NESN, and BU goalie Scott Cashman looked very shaky and the
    Terriers made several awful defensive mistakes that resulted in Clarkson
    goals.  BTW, I hope the Clarkson fans aren't overly optimistic about
    getting to face BU in the semifinals, because as I mentioned Saturday night
    BU is not the same team that lost to Clarkson back in early January.  Just
    a warning.  I think this may be the toughest game yet for the Knights after
    seeing BU's total demolition of Michigan this weekend (Michigan being the
    runner-up to LSSU in ot in the CCHA Championship).  Experience should
    again play a part, as well as a team's focus - Clarkson was not expected
    to even make the Final Four and may feel the same as BU did last year,
    almost that they are just happy to be in St Paul (though I am very sure
    they want to win it too); BU, meanwhile, seems to have been intent on
    winning the whole thing from the beginning of the season.  The way they
    turned it on at the Beanpot, through the Hockey East playoffs and thus
    far in the NCAAs is proof of that.

    No word from BU yet, but if Jack Parker continues his rotation, Cashman
    will again get the call Thursday night against Clarkson.  I would think
    Parker would want to play senior John Bradley Saturday if BU is playing
    for the championship.  I also think Cashman has been playing better lately
    than he was earlier in the season when he had the eye problem.

    Wow!  A possible Maine-BU matchup in St Paul for the whole ball of wax!
    But at this point, I'm looking forward to ANY matchup.  March Madness
    at its best!

>     Sorry if it sounds like I'm gloating, but wouldn't you be excited if your
>team knocked the #1 team in the nation out of the tournament :^)

    Sure - and congratulations to the Clarkson fans along with everybody else.
    I really didn't expect Clarkson to win a third game in the Soo and again,
    they have proven me wrong.  Good luck in St Paul!

    - mike