From:
Steve Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 1994 12:58:25 -0500
On Sun, 9 Jan 1994, Eric Rickin wrote:

> After watching the 2 game sweep of LSSU (or, as someone in my section was
> calling it after the cry of "OVERRATED!" by the michigan fans at the end of
> Sat's game), it should be "Lake Inferior State U."

As much as I enjoyed Michigan's first-ever season sweep of LSSU, I hardly
think that "inferior" or "over-rated" are quite the right words.  Granted,
the fans had a little fun with their team and supporters with the over-rated
stuff, but I think that this LSSU team is going to do some damage before
it's all said and done.  Back in '88-'89 when I was a freshman at U-M, I
never thought I'd see the day when Michigan would be able to beat LSSU at
Yost, let alone sweep them.  I believe that up until two years ago, LSSU
had a 14 or 15 game unbeaten streak going at Yost.  (John H.?)

> However, LSSU is a great team in getting the puck out of the zone and into
> the U-M zone.  Their offense (especially #4) is pretty good.

Yes, they are.  And they keep the puck in the offensive zone better than any
team I've seen in a while.  The problem with playing Michigan is this:  even
though Michigan only got it out cleanly on a rush six or seven times a night,
every time it did happen, Michigan ended up with a quality scoring chance
at the other end.  And a couple of goals.

> I did notice that on Friday night, LSSU came out pumped.  Then, they scored
> the 1st goal, but at soon as Michigan scored they just DIED.  On Sat. they
> were just outplayed, but if they won friday night they proabbly would have
> gone into Sat. night game with a better attitude.

I thought LSSU pressured Michigan for the first ten minutes of the Friday
game better than any team has pressured them this year (at least the games
I've seen).  The only way Michigan could get the puck out of the zone was
to ice it.  The saving grace for Michigan was that LSSU doesn't do a lot
with it once they manage to keep it in the zone, that is, they don't convert
on turnovers in the offensive zone well at all.  At least they didn't this
weekend.  Michigan, on the other hand, hit at least two goalposts on Friday
directly off LSSU turnovers in their defensive zone.

The overtime goal on Friday really brought LSSU down.  The goal happened
about 30 feet from my seat, and I noticed immediately that the life seemed
to be drained from the LSSU players as soon as the red light went on.  This
seemed to really carry over into Saturday.  LSSU really had to win that game,
or at the *very* least, get a tie.  There's a big difference between being
nine points down with a little momentum and being eleven back and ready to
be buried the next night.

When was the last time LSSU was held to 12 shots *anywhere*?  I found
myself shaking my head when I heard the shot total at the end of the game.

The skinny:

I think that Michigan really established themselves this weekend.  My
attitude going into the weekend was that if they were going to come out flat
and drop a game, this might be the weekend for it.  But the team really
rose to the occasion.

Michigan's got a tough stretch coming up:  at Notre Dame, the home-and-home
with Michigan State, and Bowling Green.

I agree with John H. that the Friday game was one of the best games I've
ever seen at Yost or elsewhere.  Truly hockey at its best.

--Steve
U-M '92

|Steve Phillips                            Ford Motor Company           |
|Support Consultant                        Electric Vehicle Engineering |
|Internet: [log in to unmask]    15401 Century Dr. Suite 100  |
|Phone: (313) 248-8237                     Dearborn, Michigan 48120     |
|FAX #: (313) 248-5387                     U.S.A.                       |