From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1993 00:26:19 MST
Official final score
        Princeton 3 Air Force 2 Overtime

Princeton was given a controversial tying goal late in the 3rd period
by Buzzy Christianson.  They went on to score the winner in overtime.

I know i tend to gripe about the officiating, but on this occasion, I
was sitting with a friend and colleague who officiates at high school
and junior levels (doubling with wcha linesman tim hartje on occasion)
who also felt the call was bad.  Princeon was largely ineffective
through the game.  The view was that the real score at the end of
regulation was air force 2 princeton 1 buzzy 1.

On the controversial call, a princeton player was absolutely in the
crease interfering with the falcon netminder.  My understanding, from
talking with the linesman after the game, was that buzzy apparently
felt that the player had been pushed into the crease by a falcon
defender, and that the goal should stand.  The ivy leaguer certainly
had ample opportunity to leave the crease, and I recall hearing others
yell "in the crease" several seconds before the netting of the puck.

Congratulations to Jack McDonald (Hockey-l member and) DU athletic
director for a well run tournament, and thanks also to him for finding
an extra general admission ticket for me to buy to get my son into
the sold out finale.

charlie shub
[log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369