From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1993 16:36:19 -0600
John Kupiszewski writes:
>...with about 12:14 left in the game Lacher received a 10
>minute misconduct (apparently for complaining to the ref), as he was skating to
>serve the penalty (I assume this means that goalies have to serve misconducts,
>could someone verify this for me) Lacher said something else to the
>ref, drawing a game misconduct period.

Yes, goalies do have to serve misconducts in the box; majors, too.

Rule 4-7-a: "A goalkeeper shall not be sent to the penalty bench for
an offense which incurs a minor penalty." (rest not included here)

Rule 4-7-b: "If a goalkeeper incurs a major or misconduct penalty, the
individual shall serve the time penalty; but a substitute player in
goalkeeper's equipment shall be allowed in the game replacing some
other player.  Another player without goalkeeper's equipment shall go
to the penalty box with the goalkeeper and shall go on the ice in
place of the penalized goalkeeper when the penalty time has expired.
The penalized goalkeeper may not go on the ice until a teammate with
goalkeeper's equipment has left the ice."

I recall about 5 years ago seeing then-Wisconsin G Curtis Joseph
getting into a fight at Northeastern with Huskie LW Brian Sullivan and
being ejected, in the second period.  But I also recall seeing
something weird about as long ago that may have led to the second half
of rule 4-7-b being put in place (I don't have verification, though,
since I only have rule books back to 1991-92).

Again at Northeastern, a goalie for Alaska-Fairbanks drew a major
early in the game and went to the box to serve his penalty.  I am
pretty sure there was no other player in the box with him, though,
because I have this vivid memory of seeing the goalie exiting the box
*during play* when his major expired and rushing to the net, while his
replacement skated off.  It was one of the strangest things I have
ever seen.  I believe this happened in 1988-89; I have the box score
at home somewhere.  One of these days I'll finish organizing that stuff.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<<< Color Voice of the (7-7-1) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>>