From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1992 13:07:51 CST
About specfic refs:

After reading what I posted about the Wisconsin - St. Cloud game, I
guess I should back off a little bit from my criticism of referee Buzz
Christiansen. If he blew the whistle, he had to disallow the goal. Why
he blew it is still a question....

I think Buzzy lets way too much go, especially interference. I
guess he is consistent -- if he sees a BLATANT (in 10' high neon
letters) infraction, the REALLY REALLY NO DOUBT ABOUT IT changes
a good scoring chance into a non-chance, then he calls it. If he
sees a REALLY BLATENT VIOLENT act away from the play, he might
call it. Thats about all he calls, except for matching minors to
keep hot tempered games in control (although I did see him once
call non-matching minors this season).

Jim Berlew was the ref for the first two games of the series. I
wasn't thrilled with his work either, but nothing controversial
comes to mind. It just seems like sometimes he isn't there when
he's working a game.

This season, the linemen seem to have had a tougher time. Between
questionable offsides and icing calls, and not getting out of the way
of the puck, they are more noticable than I recall..

I wish the fans learned the new rules... So many times this weekend the
crowd would complain when a St. Cloud defenseman made a hand pass in
his own zone, instead of recognizing it as a good play.

I really wish something was done to speed up faceoffs. Even if the ref
does prevent the late line change, it still takes more time for
everyone to mill around and the right guys to go back to the bench...
and then they have to get set for the faceoff itself...

Duane Derksen will practice this week, and if all goes well, he will
play in St. Paul.

	--david

--------
david parter				university of wisconsin -- madison
[log in to unmask]			      computer sciences department