From:
Jeffrey Partnow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeffrey Partnow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 19:08:03 -0700
>I haven't seen this posted to the list yet, so I wonder if I missed it.  In
>an article in "Western New York Hockey" magazine about Niagara U. looking for
>a conference to join, the article says that, "Alaska-Fairbanks might drop out
>of the league (CCHA)."  Has anyone else heard something to this effect, or is
>this rampant speculation (wishful thinking?) on the part of the author?
=====Reply=====
This is pure, unadulterated, 100% genuine bullshit, according to sources
within the athletic department at UAF. I have heard the rumor from CCHA
sources and also heard it at Anaheim.

The rumor may have developed as a response to funding issues at UAF, and
some people who should have known better (or at least should have had the
courtesy to do a little research before shooting off their mouths) might
have detected eerie similarities to prior doings at Kent State or UIC.
Similar, also unfounded, rumors dealt with Ferris State a few years ago,
and the Bulldogs had themselves a nice season this year.

Funding problems are statewide in Alaska and they relate to low oil prices
and political uncertainty regarding the budget. As a state institution, UAF
sees some of the same budgetary woes. This does NOT translate to dropping
D-I hockey. The final interviews for a new coach are happening this week,
and I expect we'll have a head coach in time for the coaches' meetings in
Naples, FL next week. I also expect that UAF will remain in the CCHA and
become increasingly competitive.

Niagra can hook up with whoever will have them. If that happens to be the
CCHA, we will welcome them to Fairbanks and stick with them through THEIR
growing pains. As we will do with UNO, UAA, Mankato, and everybody else who
has learned that the road to respectability in D-I hockey has no shortcuts.

Jeff Partnow-- <[log in to unmask]>
Fairbanks, Alaska