From:
Anne Diffily <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1992 10:47:28 EST
>>The Brown nickname is the Bruins, not the bears.
>
>No, Shane is right.  The official nickname is the Bears, according to the
>Brown media guide.

Correct, Mike.  For reasons no one is completely sure of, sometime in
the last five years Brown's sports info. office began using "Bears"
instead of "Bruins" to refer to Brown's athletic teams.  The actual
name of Brown's bear mascot is (and always was) "Bruno" or, in its
longer and archaic form, "Butch Bruno."

Glad we cleared that up.  :-)   Now, back to our regularly-scheduled
hockey discussion.

   - Anne Diffily
     Managing Editor, _Brown Alumni Monthly_