From:
Charles Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 11:18:22 -0600
UND clinches at worst a co-championship with a 4-0 win over the
Seawolves.  The game winning goal came 12 seconds into the game with a a
beautiful breakaway by Jay Panzer.  The Sioux defense virtually stopped
all UAA scoring chances and allowed Sioux goalie Schweitzer to coast to a
second straight shutout.  Despite the fact that UND greatly outplayed
UAA, the Sioux were only ahead 1-0 in the latter stages of the second.
It was not until 19:51 of the period that Juff Ulmer was able to score
the second goal of the night, and basically signal the end of the game.
The goal was a nice deflection courtesy of a shot from Murphy.  In the
thrid, UND scored two more (Kevin Hoogsteen and Bull) to make the game
end up 4-0.

Quick thoughts:
-A very emotional night for everyone in the stadium.  As the
trophy was being presented to the team, I kept thinking to myself that
what I was witnessing could not be happening.  Four years ago, I saw my
first hockey game in person and at that time UND played horribly.  The
amount of progress that has been made in Grand Forks is nothing short of
amazing!

-UND outshot UAA by a margin of 43 to 16.  Give Teskey a lot of
credit for keeping this one fairly close.

-No penalties were called in the entire game!  UAA is definately a
classy hockey team, and it was nice to see a game for one that skills
decided the contest, not brute strength.

-The funniest comment of the night occured before the game
started.  With the players off the ice, the PA announcer said, "Would the
dance team please report to the player's lounge."  Hmmm...I wonder why :-)

UND now travels to Denver in hopes of becoming the outright champion of
the WCHA.
                                                charles
-
--->COBWEB Page Design at http://www.cob-web.com (my company!!!)