From:
Dan Daley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 09:42:29 -0500
I was not fortunate enough to see the game live here in the Northeast Kingdom
of Vermont (we do not get ESPN2), but WCAX in Burlington showed the "winning"
goal on its sportscast.  I taped this and have watched the winning goal at
least ten times and am convinced the goal should have been disallowed.  Here's
why:

 As Remachel (sp?) was flying through the air, he batted the puck with his glove
towards the goal.  The puck went over Thomas' RIGHT shoulder, behind him and
down to the ice near the goal post to Thomas' LEFT.  When I first started
watching the replay, all I could see at this point was a UVM player trying to
clear the puck away and it appeared that this UVM player was the one who
bounced the puck off Thomas and into the net.  But further study showed that
a CC player's stick showed up in the bottom right hand corner of the tv screen
and flicked the puck off Thomas and into the net for the goal.  It was very hard
to see and I do not know the CC player's name, but this goal clearly should
have been disallowed because of the hand pass from one CC player DIRECTLY to
another.

In any case, I was very impressed by Mike Gilligan's take on the game.  He said
 that he also thought it was a hand pass, but that the refs for the game were
the best from the east and he respected their call.  He also said that UVM had
 many other chances to win the game and couldn't finish the plays.

All in all, a great showing for the Cats.  Vermont hockey will finally be on
national collegiate hockey map.

Dan Daley
Lyndon State College
Lyndonville, Vermont