From:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 1996 13:15:04 +0600
Well, now that the initial shock has worn off, I will make my comments on
last night's debacle at the DECC.  Jimmy Roy scored two goals, including
the game-winner at 7:12 of the overtime on a shot which he broke his stick
on.  I think I saw his brother, fellow Hockey-L'er Jason after the game,
but I am not sure.  The Bulldogs outshot their opponent by more than 20
shots for the second consecutive game, losing both by a goal.  The Dogs
outshot Tech 16-4 in the first and were only up 1-0.  Tech coach Bob
Mancini said he was thinking blowout at that point.  The overtime was
dominated by UMD and I said to myself "This is one of those games where
they're going to get one bounce or something and we're going to lose it."
No, I don't plan on going into fortune telling, but the last goal, I think
even Tech fans have to agree, was one of those lucky shots that you get
every once in a while that turns out to be meaningful.  The Dogs came out
to play in the first, but apparently they left their hockey skills in the
locker room coming out for the second.  Tech got 2 quick ones to take the
lead, UMD tied it at 2 before the intermission.  The teams then traded off
goals in the third, with UMD's Brad Federenko equalizing the game at 4-4
with just 19 seconds left in regulation.  That seemed to pump up the Dogs
for the OT, but Roy's flying stick blade must have gotten Taras Lendzyk's
attention and he let the offspeed shot in.  Taras did not play as well as
we know he can play.  But it's been two straight games.
The game was also marred by the fact that UMD is coming off of spring
break.  There were about 20 students there, and the band that was in
attendance was made up of high schoolers, except for about three UMD
members.  The school song was not played at all, and you could notice the
difference in crowd noise.
These will probably be my last Bulldog games at the DECC and I would hate
to see them go out like the game last night.  I will be moving down to
Saint Paul at the end of the school year and transferring to the Twin
Cities campus.  It will be nice to cheer for the goophs, but I will really
miss the UMD games at the DECC.  The seating is great, and you can't beat
$3 a game for tix (although they ripped us for $6.50 for these playoff
games.)  I have seen some great hockey over the past 5 seasons.  91-92
brought a 5th place finish, and the unforgettable, 3 game, 7 overtime
classic series with CC in the playoffs.  92-93 brought the WCHA
championship, the Minnesota sweep, Taras Lendzyk and the trip to the NCAAs.
93-94 brought UMDs third Hobey Baker winner, Chris Marinucci.  94-95
brought the great second half, even though we finished a win away from home
ice and, unfortunately, the start of the Minnesota losing streak (10 games
now, urgh.)  This year brought just the second home playoff series in ten
years and some really good hockey, despite the Minnesota and CC games.  Our
first win at SCSU since 92 was nice, but you always wish for more I guess.
UMD has a good nucleus for next year though, graduating 5, but
unfortuantely, one of those is Taras Lendzyk, who will finish his career
with more points than Bulldog coach Mike Sertich.  I will probably get to
see my second Bulldog road game though, I saw the Dogs down at old Mariucci
in 1990 (they won!) in my only game at the barn.  It's been a great ride,
THANK YOU BULLDOGS!

TF

--
Anthony J. Frolik                            University of Minnesota Duluth
Go Bulldogs!                                  16-15-1 WCHA, 20-16-1 Overall