From:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 14:52:24 -0500
It occurs to me as we discuss the increasing number of players from the
Junior ranks in college hockey we are overlooking a major contributing
factor...economics.

It is easy to see that the number of US students coming out of Juniors is
dramatically on the rise as compared to several years ago when the majority
of students came out of Prep Schools and High Schools.  What you are seeing
is the number of players who used to attend prep schools are now playing
Juniors.  $12000 for a prep versus $2000-$3000 to play Junior(many are much
less).  It is interesting to note the number of new Junior programs in the
states. Here in Albany there is a midget team coached by former RPI coach Jim
Salfi(anf father of former Maine standout Kent Salfi, who by the way is
currently leading the German 1st Division-North in scoring) that will become
a Junior team next year. They have 5-6 D1 prospects playing currently
including Curtis Valentine, whose father playef at Clarkson w/ Dave Taylor
and a Leach, son of one of the St. Lawrence Leaches, nephew of the Bruin, as
well several other players.

It is not so much a case of hockey going "junior', its just the reality.