From:
Lisa Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1991 10:54:22 EST
The following appeared in the Cornell Daily Sun, Nov. 13, 1991
"Lappins From St. Lawrence Will Play Until Case Settled"
Canton, NY (AP)--Two St. Lawrence hockey players charged with attacking a
man with a baseball bat will be allowed to continue playing until their
case is resolved, university officials said yesterday.
	The players--brothers Michael J. Lappin, 22, and Christopher H.
Lappin, 24--were defending themselves from an attack by four men, according
to their attorney, robert H. Ballan.
	The brothers, from St. Charles, Ill., were arrested Thursday and each
pleaded innocent in Canton Village Court to a charge of second-degree assault
in connection with an Oct. 19 attach that left 23-year-old James Donnelly of
Rensselaer with a broken nose.
	The incident occurred during an early morning dispute behind a village
pizzeria, police said.  the victim told police the attack was unprovoked.
	"I don't know these guys from a crack in the sidewalk," Donnelly said.
	Donnelly said he and a friend had been visiting his sister and sister-
in-law who work at the pizzeria and were leaving when the incident took place.
	"We went outside and there was this guy out there," he said.  "He
took a punch at me as we started to walk away and fell down because he was so
drunk."
	Donnelly said he was getting into his truck when the Lappin brothers
attacked him again.
	St. Lawrence Sports Information Director Wally Johnson said the Lap-
pins, both fifth-year seniors, have continued to play and attend classes and
will do so while the case is pending.
	Head ccoach Joe Marsh knew about the incident soon after it happened
and took no action, Johnson said.
	The university will delay any disciplinary proceedings until a court
decision is reached, said Peter W. FitzRandolph, dean of student affairs.
The Lappins could face suspension if they are convicted, he said.
	Mike Lappin is considered one of the top college centers in the na-
tion.  He was St. Lawrence's leading scorer last season with the second-high-
est point total in school history.  He scored four goals in St. Lawrence's
sweep of Massachusetts last weekend.
	Chris Lappin, a defenseman, was the leading scorer in the 1992 U.S.
Olympic hockey team tryout camp and was among the last players cut from the
28-man squad that will play in Albertvill, France, in February.
	St. Lawrence's next game is Friday night against Dartmouth in Canton.