John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 20:09:23 EST
Scott Monaghan writes:

> 1. College hockey has different recruiting roots than big-time football
> and basketball.  Many small-town Canadian kids have no idea what the Big
> 10 is,  nor do they want to go to a school with 40,000 students.

I don't buy the first part of this at all. We have TV up here :-) , so
I'm fairly sure most Canadian kids know what the Big 10 is, know who the big
football schools are, etc. etc.

> 4.  University.  The U must be committed to the program, and LSSU is
> committed.  Hockey is the "front porch", so to speak, for this school, just
> as football is at Michigan.  The University, and Dr. Robert Arbuckle, our
> President, were integral in helping with the public campaign to expand our
> arena.  They address the needs of the program in keeping up with the big
> schools, within reason, consistently, too.

This I think is the bigger reason. A recruit has to be awed by a small
building that's packed to the rafters. The fact that hockey is the #1
sport at the small schools helps them greatly.

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards           Stats Geek, Ottawa Senators Jr. A Hockey Club
Email: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]