From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 1995 20:24:08 -0400
The recent Pacific Rim tournament in San Jose featured women's teams from
Japan, China, Canada and the USA.  Japan, who is getting an automatic
seed for Nagano 98, again appears to be a weak team.  China continues to
improve since its fine performance in WWC94.  I was impressed with some
of their skating then, and I understand they have continued to develop.
Unfortunately the Chinese have also continued their hacking game.  If
they concentrated more on the skills of the game, I think they have a
chance to be a power.  Team Canada featured only 7 players from WWC94,
when they won the gold medal.  Canada was intelligent in trying out a
large group of new players.  I understand TCW was led by Dan Goyette and
Hayley Wickenheiser (Harvard/NU01 - please - "Wick needs a good
education!").  They also had a new head coach in Shannon Miller.  Miller
was an assistant in WWC92,94.  Her skill at pulling together TCW should
make her a lock for WWC97.

Team USA Women again used the same veteran team they skated last year.
Against China in the Pacific Rim, they only won 3-2. TUSAW went on to
cream Japan 14-0 and then pulled off a fine 5-2 victory over Canada.  But
in the finals they lost to Team Canada 2-1.  The game ended as a 1-1 tie
(Wick: Wilson, Goyette-Canada / Bye:Boyd,O'Sullivan pp-USA) and after one
overtime, TCW won the shoot-out 3-2 (Goyette, Wick, Schuler (NU93) -
Canada / O'Sullivan, Tatarouns - USA).  Canadian goalie Lesley Reddon
stoned Cammi Granato (PC93, USA90,92,94) on the final shot.

The reports I hear again tell me how big and slow TUSAW are.  Considering
what wonderful skaters they have in Granato, Bye (UNH93, USA92,94),
Looney (NU94, USA92,94), Ulion (Dartmouth94, USA94), Beagan (PC92,
USA90,92,94) ... its hard to understand.  USA Hockey seems committed to
making the women's team an NHL-style big, slow team that "Does what it
has to" to win.  The point is, they have more than enough talent to be a
skate and pass team.  Right now, no they couldn't beat TCW in a run and
gun game.  But if they didn't win this PR big, what will they do against
the real Team Canada?  In addition playing China to a 3-2 win is not the
mark of success.

I feel to some extent the ECAC Women's league is also suffering because
of this push to make the national side.  Skilled intelligent play is
being sacrificed to prove that you can play tough team defense.  Yes you
need a good defense, but its sad because we have some extremely gifted
players coming through right now and they are not being used to the
fullest level at either end of the ice.

I heard a comment that TUSAW only has a small pool of players to make up
the national side where TCW has a 60 player pool.  I keep track of my own
pool of USA players and I currently have 53 players.  Yes I still think
that at this point in time Canada has the edge.  But if you don't use
more of your players with more intelligent attacking plans, the chances
of beating TCW are not getting better.

/
 good shooting
 rhun-hungerf