From:
Michael Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 1995 17:37:41 EST
([log in to unmask]) writes...
> . . .  Also anyone who was at the game
> did you notice the ref's kick a fan out of the game.  He was setting near
> the UMass bench.  Anyone know what he did to get kicked from the game?
> The ref was insistent that they remove him from the game.  I've never
> seen the ref's have a player removed from a game before, so I was
> wondering what he did.

It was the first time I've seen a ref demand that a fan be removed from
a game too.  I'm not sure which referee made the request...

I was working that night at Alfond, as one of the firefighters at the game.
The officer which had to escort the fan from the arena was standing next to
me when he was called to go behind the UMass bench.  Neither one of us saw
the fan doing anything before the referee called for an officer, but then
again we weren't directly behind the bench at the time.

The referee indicated that the fan "with the white hat" was to be removed
and the fan didn't resist at all.  The officer asked the man what he had
done, and he replied that he just tried to move some towels that were
hanging over the glass behind the UMass bench.  Appearantly, he had been
upset over the towels being there since they blocked his view of the game.

I'm not sure if there was something more that happened and the fan just
didn't admit it.  From the fans reaction, I don't think anything else
happened.  Several fans from that section came over to me afterwards to ask
why the man was kicked out, and to say that he didn't do anything.

| Michael Petersen                   [log in to unmask]          |
| Firefighter                        [log in to unmask]   |
| Orono Fire Dept - Orono, Maine                                       |
| "You light them, we fight them!"                                     |