From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 10:29:06 -0500
> According to The Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter "hottest rumor:
> RPI re-thinking a jump to Hockey East -- this time in company with
> UVM..?  Said to be more attractive to the HEA folks, since it would
> keep schedule even ..."
>
> I checked, and this issue was not dated April 1 :-)

  [snip, snip]

> I also got a chuckle about "more attractive to the HEA folks, since it
> would keep schedule even."  Last I heard, the HEA had nine teams, and
> adding RPI and UVM would give it eleven -- certainly not even.

  Not that I'm necessarily in favor of this move, but note that with an
11-team league it means each team would have games with 10 league rivals,
so the *schedule* would be "even" though the number of teams in the league
would not.  This would then result in a league schedule of 20 games, pre-
sumably home/home with each league opponent, leaving 14 games for each
team to schedule non-conference opponents.  That's really not all that
many when you consider that most HEA teams are already scheduling *at
least* 10 DivI NC games (and Maine had 13 this year, since they started
their season with three games in Fairbanks).  Assuming the ECAC poohbahs
don't restrict scheduling against HEA teams in retaliation for the
defection of UVM and RPI, I would think both the HEA and ECAC schedules
would be improved by increasing inter-league play.  Every ECAC team
would then have 4 more games to schedule, either against HEA, or perhaps
the CCHA who have games to give now that Kent has dropped the sport.
Though there certainly will be problems, a 10-team ECAC and an 11-team
HEA opens up a lot of interesting NC scheduling opportunities for both
leagues (and the CCHA too), and that can only be considered a plus ....
Note that increased NC play is already on the horizon for many HEA teams:
The Governor's Cup gets underway next year, UNH is rumored to be looking
to initiate a Holiday Tourney of its own once the new Arena opens, etc,
etc.  Now if only the WCHA could be persuaded to schedule a few more NC
games.  Nay-sayers should note Minnesota's situation this year, whose
stock has risen immensely in RPICH by virtue of playing tough non-league
opponents (in contrast to, say, Denver) ....

  I'd certainly welcome an opportunity to see many of the Western stars
that I only read about here on Hockey-L in situations other than NC$$
post-season play ....

  Cheers from Solomons - Jim

  Go Blue !!
  Beat PC at BC !!