From:
Greg Weintraub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Weintraub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 1995 00:15:01 -0500
The outcome of this game was determined early as the Terriers stormed out=
=20
to a 5-0 first period lead.  Considering a couple of early scuffles, the=20
only question left to be answered was whether there would be a fight and=20
ejections/suspensions.  This is the area I want to comment on.

I normally keep my opinions about officials to myself, but I feel a need=20
to make a point here.  The officials did not affect the outcome=20
of the game, which is good. They nearly affected the outcome of the=20
season though.  They failed to control the game, miserably.  I will focus=
=20
on Mike Grier since this is where the offenses were IMO most eggregious.

Already having 1 fighting DQ back in January (against this same BC team),=
=20
Grier faces suspension for the remainder of the season with another DQ. =20
=09=E0I=C9ill afford to lose him for the playoffs.  Last night, it took a r
miracle for him to not get tossed.  He walked away from several fights,=20
only to spend half the night in the box.

Case in point:
Late in the first behind the BC net, Grier shruggs off what IMO was a=20
cheap shot from one of the Callahan's (two of them were involved).  As he=
=20
tries to skate away, Grier gets pulled back by a couple of BC players. =20
Another player skates in a sticks a glove in Griers face as he strains to=
=20
skate away again.  End result, Grier gets a 10-min misconduct.  BU loses=20
it's leading scorer for 10 minutes even though he did not retaliate and=20
tried to skate away. =20

In the third, Grier is in front of the BC net.  Defenseman has Grier's=20
stick.  Grier tries to pull his stick loose.  Ends up pulling BC=20
defenseman behind him by the stick. Defenseman starts shoving Grier, who=20
again tries to skate away, but finds his stick still stuck under the=20
defenseman's arm.  End result - Grier picks up 4 mins to BC's 2.

The one time Grier did fight back, matching 4's for roughing.

Grier showed remarkable restraint throughout the game, enduring endless=20
shots that BC players took at him.  It seemed that BC was more interested=
=20
in fighting than playing, especially once the score was out of hand. =20
Jack Parker had to be restrained on the bench at one point.  The referees=
=20
need to take control of a game like this.  Gravalese and Benedetto did=20
not.  Similarly, a coach must control his team.  Coach York did not. =20
Apparently last weekend's suspensions did not get the whole message across.

No flames intended here.  My comments would have been much harsher last=20
night before I cooled down.=20
It's just frustrating to see a college game devolve into something like=20
this.  Teams should be rewarded, not penalized, for walking away from a=20
fight.  The refs know which players already have a DQ.  It was obvious=20
Grier was a marked man, because of his talent, style of play and past=20
DQ.  The refs should not allow an opposing team to target a player=20
and to spend 60 minutes trying to pick a fight.

Let's keep the goons and fights in the NHL and play some hockey.

Greg Weintraub
BU '97