From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 1995 09:22:34 EST
The ECAC/USAir Player of the Week was Yale senior forward Andy Weidenbach,
who totalled seven points on three goals and four assists in the Elis' wins
against Air Force (10-0) and Dartmouth (6-5) and in their tie against Ver-
mont (3-3).

The ECAC/USAir Rookie of the Week was Colgate goalie Dan Brenzavich, who
recorded 49 saves, the highest total in the ECAC this season, against RPI in
the Red Raiders' 6-3 win.  Brenzavich also had 33 saves in Colgate's 2-1 win
over Union.

Also, this Friday's Brown-Dartmouth game is the ECAC Hockey Television Game
of the Week and will be shown on tape delay by SportsChannel New England and
the Empire Sports Network.  The game will be shown on SportsChannel New
England Saturday at 11:00 PM and on Empire on Monday, January 16th at 7:30
PM.

I suppose this isn't a bad pick for Game of the Week, but what about Harvard
at Vermont, which over the past several years has developed into a hotly-
contested rivalry?  Or RPI-Union, since the TV contract was supposedly one
of the concessions that convinced the Engineers to stay in the ECAC instead
of moving to Hockey East :-)

And one final note, about this week's ECAC Honor Roll.  I know getting
mentioned on the Honor Roll doesn't mean a heck of a lot, and it's good to
see SOMEBODY from Cornell get recognized every once in a while... but how on
earth can the ECAC put Jake Karam on the Honor Roll for his hat trick
against Union and leave off Jason Elliott, who stopped 37 of 38 shots in the
same game?  Over the weekend, Elliott stopped 74 of 79 shots for a 0.937
save percentage, and as far as I can tell, only Brenzavich did better
between the pipes last weekend.  Consider also that Clarkson freshman goal-
tender Dan Murphy also made the Honor Roll after stopping 67 of 75 shots
(0.893) against Brown and Harvard -- who, granted, were tougher opponents
than Union and RPI.

This is not to say that Karam and Murphy (and Brenzavich) were not deserving
of their honors, but Elliott's performance was at least as worthy of
recognition.
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and '94.5               |  [log in to unmask]
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"I used to think the brain was the most important organ in the body, 'til I
 realized, yeah, look what's telling me that."
-- Emo Phillip