From:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 1995 19:18:11 MST
Colorado College started off well, as Chad Remackel got a power play goal
in the first period, and the Tigers were up 1-0 after one.  A few minutes
into the second period, Tim Sweezo put one past Lendzyk and 18 seconds
later, while they were still announcing the goal, Stewart Bodtker put one
in to make it 3-0.  CC seemed to be on a roll.  A couple of minutes before
the period ended, Colin Schmidt got a goal that was hard to see, the puck
travelled so slow.  I didn't really see it go in, as there was a huge crowd in
front of the net and the net immediately came off its moorings.  I thought
at first it wasn't a goal, because the light didn't come on, but the referee
signaled that it was, and CC had a 4-0 lead.  Duluth finally got on the board
with less than a minute in the period left.  The Bulldogs got their next
score in the third period, a power play goal during a 5-on-3, to close the
gap to two.  Colin Schmidt answered with another goal to regain the five
goal lead, but then it went downhill from there for the Tigers.  Even
when Lambert was making some great saves, the defense just wasn't there to
clear out the puck, and Duluth capitalized on these mistakes, scoring 4
unanswered goals to take the lead, the last score coming with about 2 1/2
minutes left in the game.  Lambert was pulled for the extra man, and Duluth
even got a penalty with :26 remaining, but the Tigers couldn't get it in the
net to tie the game and send it into overtime.

CC needs to not make these kind of third periods a common occurance if they
want to make it into post-season play this year.  Next up, a tough road
trip to Madison to face the Badgers in their only regular season meeting this
year.

I'll post box scores and articles sometime tomorrow after I get back to
school in the afternoon.

Karen

~ Karen Heasley                        ~ "Sometimes I think the surest sign  ~
~ Colorado College '95                 ~  that intelligent life exists else- ~
~ Colorado Springs, CO                 ~  where in the universe is that none ~
~ [log in to unmask]      ~  of it has tried to contact us."    ~
~ [log in to unmask]             ~  - Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes 11/9/94  ~