From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 1994 12:36:59 EST
I would like to see a Top-15, with other teams receiving votes listed.
                      ======

Top-10 is stupid because 12 will make the national tournament.

Top-25 is bad because half a dozen of so will have losing records.

Top-44 is great for the fanatics, but makes it more difficult to get
widely published because of size.  It is bad because it will be
difficult to keep the best media/coaches/whoever as the time and effort
to prepare a top-44 is *much* greater than a top-10/12/15.  Fortunately,
computed ratings don't share this latter problem :-)

Top-12 is good, but ignores the high interest people have for teams "on
the bubble".  This is related to Jack McDonald's point.  Considerable
interest is paid at end of season to the position 10-15 teams.
Shouldn't we be able to watch those teams on earlier polls?

If I published a poll, it would be Top-15.

cheers,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]