From:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 1994 14:43:28 -0800
From Gazette-Telegraph 11/14/94

Defense fuels offense as CC pays back DU
  Tigers tap speed in second period

by Steve Page

Flying Tigers.

R.J. Enga said more defense meant more offense for Colorado College in
Sunday's Western Collegiate Hockey Association game against the University
of Denver.

The senior center from Colorado Springs had proof to back that theory,
especially in the final score: Colorado College 7, Denver 3.

The Tigers, who lost 6-5 at Denver on Friday, trailed the Pioneers 1-0
late in the first period before Enga scored a short-handed goal and then
assisted on Chad Remackel's power-play score two minutes later.

With the momentum convincingly reversed, the Tigers returned to the
swarming speed that they displayed in their WCHA opening sweep of North
Dakota two weekends earlier.  They scored four goals in a span of less
than six minutes in the second period, and cruised to their fifth WCHA
win against one loss before a standing-room-only crowd of 2,695 at Cadet
Ice Arena.

"The big factor is we worked much harder in the defensive zone," Enga said
after scoring two goals and setting up two.  "That gave us more offensive
chances.  That's what we didn't do Friday.  We can score all the goals
we want, but if they score more, it doesn't mean anything."

Enga said his short-handed goal, coming after pinpoint passes from
defenseman Kent Fearns and winger Chad Hartnell, got the Tigers rolling.
Fearns' lead pass broke Hartnell and Enga loose for a 2-on-1 rush into
the DU zone, and Hartnell fed the puck to Enga, who sped down the left
side of the slot and slid the puck under goaltender Jim Mullin at 16:13
of the first period.

"That kind of woke us up a little bit," Enga said.  "We said, `Let's win
this thing, and keep undefeated (5-0) at home.'"

When Remackel took feeds from Fearns and Enga to net a power-play goal
at 18:17, the Tigers were flying.  They broke it open in the second period
on Colin Schmidt's 20-foot slap shot at 3:38, Enga's short wrist shot
over a prone Mullin during a 4-on-4 situation at 5:47, Jay McNeill's
power-play slap shot at 7:41 and Peter Geronazzo's diving poke of the puck
under Mullin during another power play at 9:05.

None of that was lost on first-year DU coach George Gwozdecky, who said,
"Their short-handed goal really gave them a huge lift.  That put us a
little bit on our heels.

"The second period was a period of special teams.  They (the Tigers) really
executed well in all situations.  You give any team a five-goal lead, and
it's tough to come back.  You give a team of their caliber a five-goal
lead, and it's a huge mountain to climb."

CC (6-2 overall) scored on four of 11 power plays while holding the Pioneers
to just one advantage goal in nine tries.  The Tigers also had the short-
handed goal.  Enga's second score came with both teams skating a man short.

Fearns suffered a sprained ankle when DU's Kelly Hollingshead knocked
his feet out from under him, then jumped on him with 27 seconds remaining.

(end of article)

Karen Heasley
Colorado College '95
[log in to unmask]   *  [log in to unmask]

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere
 in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
 - Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes 11/9/94