From:
Neil Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 1994 23:48:54 -0500
        Be careful what you wish for-- you just might get it.
Maine wished and they got it. Did they ever.

        Led by a hat trick by BU forward Bob Lachance and 39 saves from goalie
Derek Herlofsjky, the Terriers routed Maine 8-5 in their court-ordered
Hockey East quarterfinal series.

        BU led thre xx 3-0 after the first and by as much as 7-2 in the third,
chasing Maine goalie Blair Allison. Maine made a breif comeback but ran out of
time despite scoring five powerplay goals and a five point night by Peter ferraro.

        But Herlofsky stopped breakaways by Mike Latendresse and Ferraro in the first,
then robbed Ferraro and his brother Chris in the third to keep maine's
comeback from getting really serious. The Bears would cut the lead to two with
under a minute left until Mike Pomichter netted a 120-foot empty net bulls-eye to
seal the win.

        The most important monets in this came about six minutes into the second.
Justin Tomberlin scored to make the score 4-1 BU, but A thoughtless Allison clear attempt
was picked off by BU defenseman Rich Brennan and zipped into the unguarded net 20 seconds later
to keep maine from regaining the momentum.

        "The left wing was suppoesed to be there," Maine coach Shawn Walsh said.

        Some other quotes of note:

        "The puck jumped our way all night," BU coach jack parker said. "We got some
great goaltending too."

        "We saw tonight why BU is ranked No.1 in the country," Walsh said. "When you get
five powerplay goals you shouldn't lose. the only thing we did right was our powerplay."

        "In the 31 games we've played BU, this is the hardest I've seen them play," Walsh said.
"They just picked it up tonight. I enjoueyed watching his work ethic."

        "Right now I think there are two teams that are the favorites to win the
national championship-- BU and Lake Superior. Both have terrific goaltending and strong
degexx defense."

        Considering how Mainexxxx
MY THOUGHTS----  Considering how Mainde got thiuis repreive and a chance to play, I was suprised
how flacid Maine came out in the first. If they hadn't gottned so utterly out-everythinged
in the opening 25-minutes and even a half-way decent night out of Allison they'd be rigjt in it.

        BU smelled blood and went for it in the first and early in the third. The two
days off Parker gave the team when he thought they had this weekend free paid off as BU
was flying all night despite losing some focus during the garbage time.

MOERExx MORE Later     neil Goldbeg,   Daily Free Press.