From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 1994 22:50:38 -0500
BC 5, at PC 1
  Ron posted the box.  BC continues to play well, moves into a tie for
  6th with Maine - both teams two pts up on Merrimack.
at BU 9, Northeastern 3
  Ouch.  BU needs one point in its final 4 games to clinch first.
at UNH 6, Mass Lowell 3
  Ouch.  UNH moves into tie for 4th with PC, but UNH wins the
  tiebreaker.  Lowell clinched 2nd with NU's loss to BU but can only
  finish 1st if BU loses its last 4 and Lowell wins its last 2.

Elsewhere, other finals I got from radio that haven't been posted:

at Miami 5, Michigan 3
at Dartmouth 5, SLU 2
at LSSU 3, UIC 0

Congrats to Union on another big win at Brown, 3-2.  It was
interesting to hear Harvard's Brian Farrell say on the radio after
their win over RPI that Harvard has spent more time working on
preparing for the Union game this week than RPI.  Doesn't sound like
Harvard is taking Union lightly.  Should be interesting.

On NESN, Bob Kurtz suggested that in handling the forfeit situation at
Maine, HE should just toss out all results of all games involving
Maine in determining the final standings.  Original, but 1) would it
make a difference whether this was done or Maine just forfeited
everything, since Maine would drop to 8th, and 2) since everyone would
in effect sweep their season series with Maine, is it fair since some
teams played Maine 3x and some teams played them 4x.  Not to mention
the teams that will play them the rest of the year.

During the Lowell broadcast, it was suggested that either Maine should
withdraw from the HE playoffs or that HE should vote to keep them out.
I don't expect this to happen nor do I think it should.  However, the
thought Ross Bracco raised about it being against BU's best interests
to have Maine forfeit everything was a very good one.  After working
to finish first, is it fair for BU to draw by default a team that is
probably much better than either of the two teams (MC/BC) that BU
would probably end up with?  It's just another factor HE will have to
contend with.  To that end, I could see HE deciding to keep Maine out
and giving BU a bye in the first round.

The best comment came from NESN's Bob Norton, who said that whatever
happens, the league should act swiftly and make a quick decision so
everyone isn't left wondering what's going to happen.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<< Color Voice of the (14-16-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>