Sender:
From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 1994 22:40:28 GMT
Comments:
Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
I won't go over the scoring, but I will make a few points about the
past weekend.

Friday vs. Dartmouth

The Engineers tried not to look past the Big Green with the Freakout the
next night. I don't think it worked.

A REALLY boring game. I actually slept through about 10 minutes of the game
during the second period.
(No, I was not on the air this weekend).

Saturday vs. Vermont

The annual highlight of the RPI season at home, the Big Red Freakout.
This year's Freakout gift, a pom-pom with a plastic rattler attached.
For those of you who remember that Puckman was the bullet, well, Puckman
now sports a round body with the Grey bar. Politically correct I guess.

Up and down, up and down, odd man breaks all over the place. And boy
wht a finish, what GREAT goaltending from both ends.

Finals:

RPI 6   Dartmouth 3
RPI 2   Vermont   2

Some points:

1) It seems that teams have started to adjust to the RIchardson-Regan-Brick
line combination.  They just do not seem to be getting the chances anymore,
and goals by this line are usually individual efforts, or on the power
play, rather than by plays set up. What makes this even more evident is
the fact that the other lines do not seem to have picked up their slack.
The scoring has not spread out as Coach Powers would have liked it.

2) The Engineers, admit it or not, were definitely overlooking the Big
Green on Friday night. THough they WON 6-3, IT WAS A 2ND PERIOD FLURRY
that put the game away at 5-1.  Slacking, but balanced scoring all around.

3) The 3 most impressive players the entire weekend was Askew, Matthews,
and O'Connor.  These guys were the 4th line on Friday, and Matthews scored
the game-winner. Good play by these folks this weekend.

4) Friday's lines were TOTALLY different with the exception of the Ice Line
(B-R-R).  Matthews moved from 4th to Pasco and Askew's line, Hamelin was
4th line, and so on.

5) Wayne Clarke is really starting to impress a lot of people, he is begiin-
ing to drive the net! Those of you who have seen Sharkie, seem to think
he needs MUCH more strength, but he has begun to drive, and has scored
a ton lately.

6) I will maintain that Coach Powers does not have his defensemen paired
up to the best ability.  It's nice to have a top team of Layzell and Bartell,
but I believe it would be better suited if he split them up and split
up Pirrong, Rochon, Kiley, and Cuthbert. My pairings: Layzell & Kiley,
Bartell and Rochon, Pirrong and Cuthbert.  The hitters together (P and C)
Puck handlers and defensive on th eother teams.
But then again, I ain't the Coach.

This weekend:

The yearly trip to Ingalls and Hobey Baker. 2 games the Engineers should
win. A sweep here is needed by the Engineers to have any hope of controlling
their own home ice destiny.  The Engineers still have not won 2 games on
the road (except the Dexter) in a trip, and this would be a dandy of a time.

1) They must control the puck, and get through the neutral zone. This
is the only key. If they do, the speed and shooting will take care of
Yale and Princeton.

See everyone on the road this weekend, and White Castle here we come!

*  Jayson Moy RPI '89 '93       * One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer    *
*  [log in to unmask]                 * Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Basketball  *
*  The "J Man"                  * on Crystal Clear FM Radio, 91.5FM WRPI, Troy*