Sender:
From:
"David M. Josselyn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 1994 11:20:10 -0500
On Tue, 15 Feb 1994 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE PEOPLE WHO PAY THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE IN A SITUATION
> SUCH AS A FORFIET ARE THE PLAYERS AND THE FANS.  WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF
> PUNISHING PEOPLE WHO HAD LITTLE OR NOTHING TO DO WITH THE VIOLATION.

True.  As long as students in general defer the authority more handling
such matters to the administration, they will be the ones who pay the
price.  Handing over that authority is so easy to do, too.  Tory or
anyone else can always say, coach said I could play, so I played.  Not my
fault.

But if I'd been him I'd have to wonder why more than one other school
passed on me because of my grades.  In high school, it was foremost on my
mind whether my grades and test scores were enough to get me into
college.  If I'd been an athlete, I probably would have tried to make
myself aware of what the requirements were for playing-- school and NC$$
requirements.  It's just too easy to sit back and let coaches and
administrators decide.

  I FEEL
> THAT IT IS UP TO THE ADMINISTRATION TO CONTROL THEIR COACHES AND STAFF, THIS IS
>  NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE FANS OR THE PLAYERS.

And the only ones that will be able to hold them to that responsibility
are... the players, the parents, the fans, the students.

  I JUST LEARNED LAST NIGHT
> THAT THE LADY BLACKBEARS ARE NOT GOING TO BE ALLOWED IN THE N.A.C. PLAYOFFS
> BECAUSE OF A SCEDULING VIOLATION.  IF I WERE ON THE TEAM I WOULD BE FURIOUS
> WITH THE ADMINISTRATION.  THE STUDENTS WORK HARD ACADEMICLY, AS WELL AS ON THE
> ICE OR COURT. THE PEOPLE IN THE UNIVERSITY ARE PAID GOOD MONEY TO MAKE THE
> RIGHT DECISIONS, SO WHY ARE THE WRONG PEOPLE ALWAYS THE ONES WHO PAY THE PRICE?

Good question.  Get new administrators.  They're only there because
students let them be.

>    THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THIS YEAR THAT MAINE BLACKBEAR ATHLETES AND FANS
> HAVE HAD TO PAY THE PRICE FOR A SCREW UP BY THEIR ADMINISTRATION.  WHAT KIND
> OF PENALTY DO THEY HAVE TO FACE?  AFTER ALL THOSE OF US WHO PAY TUITION HELP
> PAY THEIR SALARIES, I FEEL LIKE WE ARE ALL BEING PUNISHED FOR THEIR INABILITY
> TO DO THEIR JOBS.

The ultimate pressure, then, would be not to pay the tuition.  Enough
students do that and things would get done rather quickly after that.

> ANOTHER FRUSTRATED MAINE FAN
> "WHAT NEXT"

David M. Josselyn

GO MERRIMACK!  GO ARGUS!  /\