Sender:
From:
Susan Siegal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 1994 00:56:12 -0600
On Fri, 11 Feb 1994, John H. Hughes wrote:

>     I have to agree with [log in to unmask] about nicknames.  I think
> that using the name of a Native American tribe as a team nickname is something
> that Native Americans should look on with pride.  So the Sioux, Seminoles,
> Mohawks, etc. shouldn't have a beef with those as nicknames.  Using a name

Just as a note, the so-called 'Sioux' people, do NOT refer to themselves
as Sioux, they refer to themselves as 'Lakota'.    The 'Sioux' is a one
name, given to many diverse tribes/nations of Indians by outsiders.
"Sioux" in the context it was given, actually means snake...

How this changes the name-change issue...  I'll let everyone form their
own opinions on that...

Susan Siegal
UND fan :)