Sender:
From:
Ralph Christopher Slate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 1994 01:14:17 GMT
I know that many views of the Clarkson-RPI game depend on which side you're
rooting for, so I'll just clear up a few mistaken facts here.

In article <[log in to unmask]>,
ANDREW WEISE <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>First, in regards to J.F. Houle. After the Cuthbert tripping penalty on
>Conroy, I saw, out of the corner of my eye, Houle go down like a bolt of
>lightning. I don't think he would have dropped to the ice like that unless
>he was nailed, which he certainly was. The Cuthbert penalty could have gone
>either way, I feel. It seems that regardless whether or not he knocked the
>puck away first is irrelevant. The ref saw that Conroy was tripped, thus
>the penalty. I was not surprised that he called it, but it could have also
>been a non-call.

I spoke with a friend of mine who played Div II hockey a few years back.
He said that if the puck is knocked away first, then the play is good
and no penalty should be called, even if the player is tripped AFTER
the puck is knocked away. If the player was hit first, though, it would
have been a penalty (and probably a penalty shot in this case).

>Second, the game-winner by Askew shouldn't have been allowed!! This one,
>though at the other end of the ice, I did see -- on the 6:00 news the next
>evening! It seemed to me that Pasco WAS under his own power when he collided
>with Jason Currie. He proceeded to knock Currie into the net, thus injuring
>CUs goalie. I was surprised that the net wasn't knocked off until I remembered
>that RPI still uses the posts that stick up a few inches off the ice.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
RPI uses the Marsh-Pegg system to hold it's net on. This was introduced
2 years ago, and consists of 2 plastic posts that stick up about 6 inches
from the ice. RPI used to use the magnetic posts before that, and got rid
of the steel posts in 1988. The plastic posts are the happy medium between
the steel posts, which don't budge, and the magnetic posts, which move if
you breathe on them. I believe they are the preferred post system in
hockey today.

>The alleged booing in Houston Fieldhouse continued long after the penalty to
>Cuthbert. I'm not sure whether RPI faithful were upset at Houle also, or
>just the penalty. If the former is true (and I certainly hope it isn't) then
>I'm amazed at the RPI contingent. That is a perfect example of a lack of
>sportsmanship!

I think sportsmanship depends on how your team is doing. RPI fans booed when
Houle got up since they just had a (bad) penalty called on them, but they
cheered when the goalie got up, since they had just scored a goal. RPI fans
are at least better than Cornell fans, who would have banged at the glass
at the area of the ice where the player was down, hurling epithets and such.
No offense to the Cornell fans, but that's the way it was last year when I
went to the Cornell-RPI game.

Ralph