Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 1994 12:05:00 PST
It is so rare that I enjoy or agree with THE MICHIGAN DAILY (student
newspaper) that I just have to share this paragraph:

From THE MICHIGAN DAILY, 6 January 1994
by Michael Rosenberg

  Back in October, few would have predicted that there would be a nine-point
differential between Michigan and Lake Superior State at this point in the
CCHA season.  Most observers would have thought that the Wolverines would
have at least stayed within a few points of the Lakers, who were ranked No.
1 in the nation in the preseason.  [end quoted material]

Count me among those observers.  :-)  I was hoping to stay within four
points and use this weekend as an opportunity to tighten the race.

Moving on to HYPE-week for the series between #1 UM and #2 (in many polls)
LSSU, here are a few of the typical love-thy-opponent comments:

From Lake head coach Jeff Jackson:
  "The way Michigan is playing, I don't see first place being available."
  "I think Michigan is the class of college hockey right now."
  "This is the best Michigan team I've seen."
  "I don't know if we have anyone that can match up with David Oliver."
  "I think he (Oliver) is the best player in college hockey right now."
  "Any time you get a line combination like that (Michigan's) it can be
devastating to an opponent."

Laker goaltender Blaine Lacher's comments were closer to reality:
  "We're kind of nervous about them on the power play."
  "I think we match up well with them five-on-five."

Speaking of Oliver, his point scoring streak now stands at 22 games, dating
back to the 1993 NC$$ tourney.

And, according to the ANN ARBOR NEWS, Michigan is riding a 20-0-2 home
unbeaten streak.  My tallies show the following:

  Michigan is 21-0-2 in their last 23 home games;
  Michigan is 15-0-0 in their last 15 home games; and
  Michigan is 20-0-0 in their last 20 home games versus CCHA opponents.

Another blurb in the AAN noted that last week's Dexter vs Dearborn Divine
Child high school game was officiated by Paul Helber (ref & father), Eric
Helber (ref & son) and Matt Helber (linesman & son).  It is *believed* to be
the first father and son officiating crew for a prep hockey game.  (If the
name sounds familiar, Tim and Mike Helber -- also Paul's sons -- played for
Michigan, spanning the years 1986-87 through 1991-92.)

And, the latest word or mouth reporting on Ryan Sittler's knee injury is
that he will miss six to eight weeks (probably the latter).  My apologies to
the person who reported this figure originally (prior to me chiming in with
3-4 weeks).

Michigan freshman defenseman Harold Schock is +22 in 20 games, and has not
been minus in any game this season.

Elsewhere in the CCHA, 51 of Notre Dame's 64 goals have been scored by
freshmen or sophomores.  Don't think that the rest of the CCHA isn't
noticing this.  Give the Irish a goaltender and you could begin printing
home-ice playoff tickets for 1995, 1996, ...

UAF only had one game without a power play goal until being shutout in that
category their last three games (0/3, 0/5, 0/5).  Still, the Nanooks are at
31.3% with the extra man on the season.

  John H
  U Mich
  GO BLUE!  BEAT THE SOO!  (Watch it on the PRIME Game-of-the-Week.)
  GO GO GOPHERS!  Badger Me Not.
  One of Santa's elves (from the Madison branch of elves) gifted me with a
bright red Wisconsin hat for Christmas.  How befitting.  :-)