Sender:
From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 1994 20:33:28 CST
In message <[log in to unmask]> "Brian F. x5107" writes:
> While looking through the ranks of teams from the various objective ratings
> systems (i.e. those based only on data rather than subjective poll
> I noticed that the TCHCR and RPICH ranked the Western teams consistently
> higher than the CHODR and, conversely, that the CHODR ranked the Eastern
> teams
> consistently higher than TCHCR and RPICH.  I did not actually regress the
> results, but a statistically significant variation is clear from just
> eyeballing the results.
{examples deleted}
> The only blatant exception to the rule was in the case of Northeastern, which
> was rated better in the TCHCR and RPICH despite being an eastern team:

> I am wondering if the differences shown in the ratings are just a fluke
> caused
> by the different bases between the ratings systems (my first thought) or if
> they actually reflect a real difference between styles of play in the east
> and
> west.

Maybe I should leave this to the ratings mavens, but... my personal suspicion is
that the difference is due to the bases used and MAYBE the better balanced
conferences in the West.  TCHCR and RPICH both take into account the record of
your opponents.  CHODR doesn't do that, but takes into account the MARGIN of
victory/defeat.  If there are a couple weak teams in a conference that teams can
beat up on, their CHODR ratings will go up because they're piling on the goals,
but it won't do their TCHCR and RPICH much good because it hurts their strength
of schedule.  As Keith noted, the WCHA teams sky-rocketed in TCHCR last week
because the WCHA went 8-1 (this was before Minnesota's loss to LSSU) in
non-conference play.  St. Cloud moved up 7 spots without playing a game, because
their strength-of-schedule improved.

As for Northeastern being an exception, I see that they have played a couple
Western teams (North Dakota, UIC, and WMU) and some of the top teams in the East
(BU, Maine, New Hampshire, Mass-Lowell), and won some close games.  That might
cause their TCHCR and RPICH to be higher than CHODR.  (Does this make them the
exception that proves the rule?)

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]         1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
[log in to unmask]              Ski-U-Mah!!!